Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Saving the Worms for another day.

 Dinner time has always been special to me. Its a time to reconvene with the family. A time of silence and conversation. A weird contradiction. Silence as you deal with the food in front of you and conversation whilst you wait for your plate to arrive and conversation once you have dealt with your plate.


Dinner times also sometimes includes simple meals such as peanuts and popcorn. Yep...*day-dreams-about-her-dinners-on-mountains*

I cherish my meal times and I have learnt to be disciplined with them to include an actual scheduled time.  I won't bore you with my timetable lest you find my clinical. My daughter whom we lovingly call Didi, is worse than a Dr's prescription coz three times a day, on a repeat mode, she will remind us of our meal times. She knows the times off by heart and ever since she learnt to read the time. I should never have taught her the time so young :-) She adds to our meal time schedule by shouting out, far too religiously for my liking "15minutes before breakfast/lunch/tea-time/dinner". Yep, who needs boarding school memories erased when I can just live by the torture of boarding school memories and allow my own daughter to have habits like Mrs Brown, my boarding school mistress *shaking my head*.

In all my various dinning experiences from the top of Mt Kilimanjaro, to fire cooked meals, to dinning with friends and 5 star hotel eating, there is just one delicasy, that I cant bring myself to it and that is worms.

I cant even watch my Zimbabwean friends peal them and de-skin them, whilst they are alive its all so YUCK! Says me, who used to cruelly remove the wings off flying ants at boarding school and eat them while they wiggled on my tongue. They pretty much tasted like peanut butter. We'd wash down the taste with some hot chocolate and milo and then it would be lights out!

Its just that with worms, I have this thing that they will wiggle into my mind and then there goes my best treasure. Me loves my brain, my had and hair...Lets put it this way: when it comes to my body: I all all the above!..Blame my idea of worms being dangerous on those chain letters that I hate with all my cyber heart! I once recieved an email with pictures of worms in a brain. That must have been a good 5years ago but the picture together with the sender are stuck in my brain. They are both (picture and sender) supposed to be in my blocked items file, but call it a dysfunction on my part.

Being an adventurous woman of note, I am not sure if I am doing justice to my Adventure title by wanting to excel in my talent of eating in chopsticks when I cant even it beautiful, colourful worms. mmmh. This might just be the push to turn me into a vegetarian.

I will try and find another adventure. Lets skip the worms.



No comments:

Post a Comment